Fraser Island (Part 1)

If you remember, I spent the last weekend with a few mates on Fraser Island and I can’t say a lot has changed since my last visit which is a good thing – lots of tourists, women, dingos and most importantly beer.

Before arriving the island, we had to spend the night at one of the hostels in Hervey Bay. We just picked one of the hostels on the way which also offered a 4WD rental for the island. We had to negotiate heavily over the price as we’re a bunch of 50 year olds who think they deserve a whole lot more than the others. We got nothing.

We spent the night hanging with a few tourists from Europe whose English was horrible, but luckily ‘beer’ sounds the same in every language. I was impressed by the capacity of a young Czech group who gulped half the kegs they had there, while my friends and I were struggling after our 6th pint. I may have to visit the Czech Republic someday and embarrass myself. Needless to say I didn’t get much sleep that night, and it wasn’t because of my insomnia.

The following morning we headed to one of the supermarkets in the area in order to stack up on food and drinks. Titled ‘worst of all cooks in NSW’ by the others, I was assigned to get drinks; One thing I love about QLD is the fact that you can get your Fourex cans no stress. Leaving the store equipped with food that’d feed a whale for 3 months and drinks that’d keep Charlie Sheen hungover indefinitely, we found ourselves on the barge to the island.

Sea sickness

I know what you have in mind reading this subtitle. You think we drank too much and then went aboard the barge. But you’re wrong, completely wrong. In fact, we didn’t even have one beer before going aboard.
We just had a couple aboard. It’s never happened to me before so I’m guessing it’s an inner ear thing that accompanies all the other wonderful things you get when growing old, including insomnia.

Cheers, Fraser

Upon our arrival to the island, it was clear that I cannot be the designated driver. Unfortunately, the rest weren’t in great shape either so we decided to act like responsible adults – we flipped a coin. It was a bumpy and long ride to our first camp, but we all arrived safely!

Have I mentioned my ‘worst cook’ title already? it was quite handy this time as they all spent their time cooking food while I was busy laying on the beach having a few beers. As it got dark and we set up a fire, I was worried I’d have to spend the rest of the night staring at the stars sleep by myself, but luckily we all pulled an all nighter and crashed at dawn.

I did get some sleep that night/morning, but not for too long, as I woke up 4 hours later still tired and unable to get back to sleep. Once again, I was delighted to see they couldn’t sleep either and we headed towards Lake McKenzie. I’ve been there before, but for some reason I felt excited; maybe it’s because I remembered the Amazing Race finale on that same location…

The lake is still a beautiful place, but there’s just one thing that horrified me this time that hadn’t before.
I’ll elaborate some more on that in my next post. Deal with it!


I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake
Unknown Author (Or every insomniac’s opening line)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s